Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Adventures with Coconut Oil

I'm giving something a try and I'd love other insight into it.

I am a Bath and Bodyworks freak. I have loved it ever since I can remember. And working there for four years just sent me further down the rabbit hole, leaving me addicted and drowning in products. However, while I know that in past years they have made steps towards using more natural ingredients, they are still laced with chemicals and nasty things. Not to mention that it's a fairly expensive habit.

I've read a lot about the benefits of coconut oil and how it can be used as a skin moisturizer. Since it's natural, I figured I'd give it a shot to see if it'll be a suitable alternative to my beloved body lotion. I've been using it for about a we now, morning and night. And here's what I've discovered:


The Good

1. The smell is amazing. It's light and soothing. Slightly sweet and just a touch tropical (which is a big pick me up on this bitterly cold Minnesota days). 

2. It does take a little bit to soak into my skin. So, while at first application is looks greasy, after a few minutes, my skin drinks it up. 

3. My upper body (arms, tummy, chest) have never been softer! 

4. It's so much cheaper then the body lotion I'm used to using. I can get a jar for about $6 at Trader Joes and with only needing a tablespoon or so per application, that jar goes a long way. 

The Not-So-Good/Need Some Advice:

1. My legs still get really dry. I know that this is partly due to how extremely cold it has been where I live, but still. The oil is just not cutting it, even when applying it to damp skin out of the shower. 

2. The coconut oil jar feels really heavy. With my upcoming trip to France, I'm worried about it adding more weight to my suitcase. I need enough for a month, so taking out a small amount to put in a different jar isn't an option. And can you take coconut oil through customs? Should I buy it in France? 

I'd love to hear your advice about coconut oil. How do you use it? Got any tips to help with my poor dry skin? 

5 comments:

  1. I love coconut oil! Have you googled the other many ways to use it?? It's fantastic stuff, really. My daughter licks it right off her fingers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I've done the google thing. It seems to be a great all purpose tool!

      Delete
  2. I'm also on a "natural" kid, so I use it as a facial moisturizer and love it! I pair it with a cleanser of Dr. Bronner's Baby Soap and tea tree oil (best way to dispense is an old foaming hand soap container) and a toner of witch hazel, aloe vera and some more tea tree oil.

    I also make a healthier chocolate. I'm a total sugar addict and the medium chain fatty acids give a quick energy boost like sugar without all the nastiness. My recipe for SUPER dark chocolate is; 1/4 cup coconut oil, 6 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar and some cinnamon. Also delicious with some actual coconut sprinkled in for some crunch. I pour it into a tinfoil form made around a mini loaf pan and then cut it into 20 pieces, making it 30 calories per piece! And saving me a LOT of sugar consumption!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe! I will have to try that... Sounds so good!

      I'm worried about using it on my face. I know that a lot of people with oily skin have success with using coconut oil as a face moisturizer, but I know that some people claim that it makes their skin worse. My face is such a T-zone oil slick, I hesitate to put anything that slick on my face.

      Delete
  3. kick, not kid... Although it was mostly inspired by my son, so I guess it works.

    Also, Kelsey hiked through Norway with a jar. Nutvia comes in a plastic jar and has fabulous reviews to save you some weight!

    ReplyDelete