Monday, January 6, 2014

And the verdict is… e.l.f. Acne Fighting Foundation

Last November I went to New York City to visit family and was able to go to the e.l.f. Studio store. You can see my full haul and some first impressions on my youtube video here:



Long over due review, I know. But I wanted to be able to truly get a good opinion of these products.

One of the products that I was really excited to try was the Acne Fighting Foundation. I had read some very good reviews about it and, given that I have problem skin, I thought it just might work for me.


Sleek and small and nothing fancy.



So, first off, the packaging is very simple. I actually like this a lot. With e.l.f. products, you really aren't paying for fancy schmancy packaging. What you get is something functional. I love that it's small and sleek. It doesn't take up too much space in my make-up bag. You only get an ounce of product, which is a downside. But is is only $6 and that ounce goes a long way so I'm not all that upset about that.

To give a completely honest opinion, the very first time I tried that foundation, I really didn't like it. I thought it looked greasy and it felt heavy. But sometimes it take a while to find the groove with a new makeup so I decided to keep working with it and seeing if I could make it work for me.


Forgive my tired eyes.

And I could. After a few days I found that my skin really loved the formulation. I still had to set it with a powder, as it looked a little shiny on the skin. But I no longer felt that it was greasy or heavy. It's a medium coverage, so while it won't cover break-outs and dark under eye circles, I did find that it helped even out my skin tone quite nicely. And after a few weeks, I did notice a slight improvement in my complexion. The foundation contains salicylic acid, witch hazel, camphor and tea tree oil, which are all great for clearing up breakouts. And it also contains aloe, which helps to soothe and heal irritated skin and provide a light moisturizer.

My one complaint (besides wishing that you got more product) is the color selection. I got the color "porcelain", which comes out to be just a little too dark on my skin. I though that "porcelain" was the lightest, but in looking on the website, it seems that "ivory" is actually the color listed as the fairest. But I remember trying that one and it looking even darker than the "porcelain". Granted, I'm really, really pale and I generally have a difficult time finding a shade that doesn't make me look like an oompa-loopa. But the color selection is really quite limited. This is a problem with most of their fountains, especially if you are on either end of the skin color spectrum (very pale or very dark).

Just a little too yellow… *le sigh*

So the verdict: If you have oily to combination skin, I think this is a fantastic foundation for your money… that is if you can find a shade to match your complexion. You can find it at the studio store in New York City or online here.



One photo outtake. 'Cause my fiancé is a goof. ;)


***This post is in no way affiliated with e.l.f. Cosmetics and I was not given any compensation for this post.***

No comments:

Post a Comment