Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Meet the Boy

So, now might be a good time to introduce my fiancé, Mike.

Mike's best Thor impression on his 30th.

Prepare your insulin. This post is about to get disgustingly sweet.



Our story starts in a way that, a few years ago, I would have been a little embarrassed to admit. While others are high school sweethearts or lock eyes at a college party or buy the other one a drink in a bar on a Friday night, Mike and I met a little more... digital.

Mike and I met online.

It's not quite so shocking anymore, but I sure was hesitant to try online dating. In fact, I know my profile stated that I was "skeptical about this whole online thing". Nonetheless, when I moved away from my hometown to a much bigger city, I figured that it might not be a bad idea to just try it. I realized that chances were slim to none that I would meet someone at work, since I worked with almost all women at my first job. I wasn't really a party/go to bars kind of person. And theatre... well... ok... the men I've dated from the theatrical world have, for the most part, been wonderful, talented, amazing men. But it never, ever worked. So, one sad New Year's Eve night, after three different plans had crashed and burned, all dressed up with no where to go (and maybe a bottle of wine), I signed up for okcupid... 'cause it was free and I was poor... and decided to see what would happen.

A lot of creepers is what happened. There was a lot of wading through the sleaze balls.

I was fending off the "started off sweet but become a little obsessive" messages/advances of one particularly persistent guy when my daily matches delivered the profile of an awfully cute guy in my message box. A guy that, according to okcupid's I'm sure very scientific matching algorithms, I had 92% compatibility. I figured, what the hell. I'll say hi.

Best. Decision. Ever.

We passed a few flirty messages back and forth until he asked me out to dinner. January15th, 2012 I came face-to-face with the man I had only seen from a computer screen and, to paraphrase a cheesy but beautiful saying, I saw him and my soul kinda went, "Oh, there you are. I've been looking for you."



And I've never looked back.

August 3rd, 2013 he asked me to marry him. 

Of course I said "yes".


Now we are starting a new chapter of our lives, trying to plan a wedding and discover careers and trying to figure a long-term trip to France (Did I mention Mike is French? That he is not only French, but a dual citizen? No? He is. And I find this AWESOME).

And here's where I get to what prompted this post... other than Mike is a huge part of my life and deserves introduction. When I decided I wanted to blog and vlog, I mentioned that I could do an American Girl in Paris kinda thing when we go. The problem is that my poor computer was on its last legs. It lived a good life and was a trusty and faithful companion. But it just couldn't really handle what I needed it to do.

So today, Mike took me out to get a new computer, which I am typing on right now. 



Yes, he spoils me. I am VERY aware of this.

The new computer is awesome and amazing and I am grateful to my core. I probably asked him about ten times "Are you SURE?" before he bought it. But the part that really gets me and makes me realize how good I have it is that he did this because he believes in me. He wants me to have the tools I need to make this blog and any vlogging I try the best that I can do. He wants to help and see me succeed. I truly don't need these material things. His love, his faith and his encouragement are all the really matter and are priceless.

But yeah. I won't deny it. This computer is pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment